Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Creatures of Habit

Nun too shabby

435 Nepean Hwy, Frankston, Vic 3199

Creatures of Habit on Urbanspoon





Headed down bayside way (Frankston) this weekend for a long, overdue catchup with a friend. We made our way to the Quest Apartments precinct on Nepean Highway, opposite Maccas golden arches (not an option for us!).

Paninis and wraps fresh from the cabinet
Of all the choices available we ended up going with a newish cafe, Creatures of Habit. Its apparently under new ownership and newly renod, but as this was my first visit I cant compare before and after. The after presents a clean, modern, freshness with its white-tiled walls, natural wood furnishings and yellow flashes of colour, matching the menus. Some other customers were admiring the finished works with the manager on duty, giving it the big thumbs up.

Clean and fresh new look
The front counter sports a range of delicious-looking wraps and paninis but, after checking out the menu, as well as what other customers were eating, I decided I was craving the smashed avocado and fetta on toast with poached eggs to go with my coffee. (I am very much a creature of habit, a serial monogamist with a menu; smashed avo and fetta is my current main squeeze.) My companion went for the slightly more substantial main meal of grilled chicken salad and decided it was wine oclock, opting for a glass of sav blanc.
Poached eggs with smashed avo and fetta on toast

I was ready to devour those eggs when they arrived, and we werent made to wait too long. They looked, and were, poached to perfection, the yolk oozing out lovingly over my avo-and-fetta-smeared toast. I must admit though, to a touch of menu envy over my friends dish (if I ever cheat on my avo and fetta, its invariably with a grilled chicken salad). All the ingredients looked so fresh and appetising, so I snuck a forkful (or three) got my bit on the side, as it were. Yum and yum! No complaints about the coffee either (Creatures uses Veneziano beans – in my experience, a hard habit to break.)
Grilled chicken salad
Yes, I could easily become a habitual critter if I lived in the area. But I think I'd need to go wild and eat my way through the menu – time to discover my next long-term lunching love interest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment